Are you wondering what to do about Magento 2?
Magento is a leading eCommerce platform and Content Management System (CMS), chosen by 1 of every 4 online businesses.
It works out of the box but is also heavily customisable, making it a very flexible solution for selling online.
Magento 1 launched back in 2008. In 2015, Magento 2 arrived.
Should you move to Magento 2 or stay with what you’ve got?
Magento 2 is vastly different to its first incarnation and moving to Magento 2 is no simple upgrade. It’s a wholesale data migration and a complete rebuild of your website.
The decision to make the move needs to be supported by a strong business case that weighs up the potential benefits of the new and improved features against the cost of a significant web development project.
Here are just some of the new and improved features of Magento 2:
- Better performance and faster loading speeds to help increase site engagement and improve sales.
- A more streamlined checkout process designed to decrease shopping cart abandonment.
- It was built to be responsive so your customers will shop effortlessly on all devices .
- The admin panel has been simplified and search made more intuitive.
- Creating products is easier and all on one page, to save you time.
In short, it’s a better, simpler, more secure CMS.
But if what you’ve got works and there are no big business plans on the horizon that require new development, Magento 2 might not be for you just yet.
When should you make the decision to move?
When it’s right for your business.
Magento are committed to supporting Magento 1 for the foreseeable future and will give 18 months’ notice if they decide to change this and stop releasing security updates.
However, with focus on developing Magento 2, Magento 1 will inevitably slip further and further behind its successor as time goes on and no new features will be developed for it.
Still have more questions?
Talk to us about your plans are for the next 3-5 years. We can help you make the right decision for your brand.